Thursday, October 31, 2013

Big fat internship update

Keep coming back because I keep updating this post every time I open my e-mail box.

Terry Michael, who runs The Washington Center for Politics and Journalism is  looking for candidates for spring semester--deadline is Nov. 8. This is a phenomenal program, which puts you into a newsroom in DC, along with weekly seminars with journalists and newsmakers. It's super-selective (read the Times! Every day!) but it's free and there's a $3,000 stipend to boot. So check it out and come see me if you're interested.

The American Society of Magazine Editors Internship program deadline is December 10. These internships are at major magazines in New York, for the summer. Colleges are asked to recommend only two students from each program, and, although you can apply yourself, applicants recommended by a journalism department are given preference over students from the same school. So if you are looking for a recommendation, please get in touch with me.

My pal @NPRAudie (are you following her? You should be.) just tweeted me:










Oh, and Audie Cornish? She's an alum who started right where you are, worked hard and made things happen.  NPR's new studios are very awesome, so check out these opportunities. 

The most competitive internships have fall deadlines, so I'll be posting news as I get them.
The Washington Post Internship program has a deadline of November 4.

The New York Times internship program deadline is October 31. 

Alum Andy Rosen '05 has always wanted a UMass undergrad to earn the PAID internship available to seniors and grad students at The Baltimore Sun, where he works. He writes:

 if there's ever anything I can do to help a Minuteperson, please let me know. This is a great opportunity though.

Please tell any student to feel free to contact me with questions about this or any other internship here.
So let's help him out! Andy's email: AndyRosen44@gmail.com

The Public Service Fellowship Program at the Partnership for Public Service  offers internships in Washington, DC. Fellows' duties vary across the Partnership's internal teams (see website), but often include: event planning and execution; research, writing and preparing correspondence; and outreach to external partners, such as government agencies and colleges and universities. Spring program deadline is November 1. Summer deadline is early March. Learn more and apply here. 

Come see me if you are interested in applying; I can help you with your application.

No comments: