Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tips from intern-land: mind your tech--and your boss

Alexa Wilansky '14 is interning with a real estate marketing company this semester; here's the second in a series of posts about succeeding at internships.

Here's the number one tip to success working in the business world, even as an editorial assistant, and that's to make sure your computer is always working. If it's not, you need to get it fixed pronto.

The second tip? Make sure you're always in contact and in good communication with your boss. Yes, there is a difference. So this week my computer, a Macintosh, got a virus. How, I'm not sure. Because I manage so much of my boss's life on my computer, it instantly became a problem.

Thankfully, OIT was more than willing to help. The good news is that my computer works. The bad news is that I have to make up for lost time – which was all day Monday. But here's the fix. Since I use TweetDeck for my, um, her, feeds, I was able to schedule all of Monday's tweets.

So, luckily, while I was spending nine hours fixing my system, her social media was still being managed. So if this ever happens to you, never fear, you have TweetDeck.

And if that's not good enough, then borrow someone else's computer for the time being, even if it happens to be a library's computer. Be in good contact with your boss: know her schedule so you don't end up calling or emailing something unimportant at a bad time, inconvenient or otherwise.

It's easy to get swamped at work, and it's easy to lose touch if you're working remotely. Set up a regular time to check in, whether daily or weekly. If you're having a problem, let your boss know. Or if she's not being clear in her expectations, ask. It's really important that your boss knows how to make your job easier and that you know how to make hers easier. It's a win-win!

No comments: