Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What time do you get up?

Last semester, Prof. Fox and I were trying to figure out what was going on with enrollments in morning classes when we realized: few students want to take a class that starts before 10 a.m. on Monday.

Or Tuesday, or...well, you know.

It used to be that 8 a.m. classes were no-students-land. But 9 a.m. is the new 8 a.m.

I was stunned to hear people tell me they couldn't make my resume/LinkedIn workshop on a Friday morning at 10 a.m., but they would consider attending if I moved it to 1 p.m.

Oh, wait. Why don't I just come to your apartment and write your resume for you? I'll bring some pizza from Antonio's. What kind do you want? Oh, you don't like Antonio's? Sibie's it is, then!

This semester, I'm overloading my Monday morning class with students, with the knowledge that half of them will drop after the first class.

This doesn't look so good. What happens when you graduate? Most successful people in the real world are up waaaaaaay before 9 a.m.

1 comment:

Caitlin K said...

I was talking about this recently how my Freshmen 8 am art class was so hard to wake up for, and now I have to get up every day at 5:30 am for work.

I had problems waking up for early classes because I packed so much stuff in my schedule I would stay up late the night before getting work done. But I liked getting classes over with in the morning so I had the rest of the day to do stuff. I would hate a class at 1 pm because I would rather be out reporting.