Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I learned it on the web. Or from another person.

I spoke about blogging at a writers' conference at Bay Path College last weekend, and, over the past few years, I've learned never to end a presentation without asking the audience:

"Does anyone of you have a tip to share or a website that might be helpful to us all in our work?"
Yes indeed, someone did. Entrepreneur Mary Gillen, who runs a site called LearnOneThing, explained that her users were willing to buy e-books that included content that they could already access for free from her site.

She is doing just that with her e-book, How-To: Social Media for Sales Teams. It's basically a compendium of her blog posts. She's selling it (like hotcakes) for $27.

"How did you come up with that price?" I asked her.

"I started at $49 and didn't sell any so I changed it to $27," she said. Everyone laughed.

She then offered some great advice on producing e-books. Use Adobe Acrobat Pro to produce it because it will compress the file and make it easier to send; also, your e-book can't be highlighted and copied.

Here's a site she recommended for order fulfillment so you don't have to manage all those sales yourself.

So if you're looking for information, don't just sit there. Ask people. Or ask the web. I have been trying to figure out how to get advertising on my site, and here's a webinar I'm going to be watching next week over at Poynter:

Bridging the Gap Between Content & Commerce: Digital Ad Sales Series

No comments: