Thursday, July 15, 2010

Live from the Poynter Institute: OMG my head is exploding.

I've spent this week at the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida, which, if you're a journalism student, you should totally get into. Check out poynter.org and look at their online courses and resources. You'll want to visit often, and you should consider applying for their student seminars, which offer great training and networking opportunities.

It's been four days of non-stop learning. We've had three workshops each day with some great entrepreneurial journalists, including Mark Briggs and Jeremy Caplan.

This has been a transformational week for me. I've been floundering with my website, fiftyshift.com, but I am going home knowing what I need to know to revamp my site and develop the team I need to take it to the next level. (Wow, and I even sound like I know what I'm talking about!)

We've learned about using social media in journalism, time management, web publication development, niche audiences, business planning and much more. I can't wait to share it all in my Entrepreneurial Journalism class this fall.

Tomorrow, each of the 20 attendees have to give "elevator pitches" for our sites. The winner gets to have his or her site "incubated" with help from Poynter.

Today, Mark showed us this video as an example of an entrepreneur who has totally, er, crushed it. There was a little debate between the old people (including moi) and the young ones about whether this guy was a genius who was being totally authentic and transparent, or what we (old people) used to call "a major-league bull#%*%##er."

Take a look. What do you think? (Caution: some foul language in this video. I believe this is part of the personal brand.)

No comments: