Wednesday, October 14, 2009

OOh I just missed them: keeping up with our alums

Twice in the past two days, I arrived back to my office to find I had just missed former students who had stopped by. I was super sorry I missed them both. But the experience made me smile when I thought of the breadth and range of our journalism students.

The first "miss" was Julie Robenhymer, who loved writing sports and competing in beauty pageants in her UMass years. She was a strong competitor in both areas, and soon after graduation, won the Miss New Jersey crown for the Miss America pageant. (She brought her crown back to campus when she came to speak at an alumni career night a few years ago and let me try it on, and for that I will be eternally grateful.) She now works in sports media management.

The second was Christina Mills, who now runs the internship program in the Massachusetts Governor's Office, and whose uncle, Bill Mills, was editor in chief at the Collegian back in the 1970's. She'll be back on Wednesday, October 21, for a Young Adult Forum with Governor Deval Patrick at 12:15 in the Cape Cod Lounge.

We value the friendship and feedback from our students--here's a quote from an email I received this morning from Michael Messina, another favorite student, who graduated in 2009.
Just wanted to say a quick thank you for stressing the importance of
multimedia skills. I'm glad I took multimedia related classes in the
Journalism Program before I graduated. A few weeks ago I went on a
business trip to Providence for the day and did some filming. I then had
to take the footage, edit it and put together a three minute new
business pitch to the Providence Tourism Council (they are a possible
new client). Needless to say, if I hadn't taken multimedia enriched
classes I never would have been able to do this.

The whole firm is now going to be having brown bag sessions on
multimedia because it's becoming essential that everyone in the industry
know how to work with it.

So thank you so much for your teachings. Hope you are both doing well.

1 comment:

vishnuprasath said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.