Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Juju Chang won't leave me alone

It started out innocently enough. I was watching the inauguration coverage, and caught a bit of a Diane Sawyer interview with reporter Juju Chang, who had stationed herself in the middle of the crowd of 1.8 million, armed only with a Flip camera, a Twitter account, and an I-Phone.

Could she do her job? Yes, she did. In a fashion. And while she was talking to Diane, she mentioned that we could follow her on her Twitter channel, jujujuggles.

So I did. Signed up as a follower. Don't tell anyone. Faculty and journalists alike are tossing tomatoes at one another over the value of Twitter. Either it's a great new thing or the end of civilization as we know it. Probably a little bit of both.

All I know is that it's been a great way to keep up with Meredith O'Brien, Marci Alboher, Elisa Thomas, Steve Fox, Dennis Vandal and others. I just wrote a story about this, and here's a tip. HelloTxt.com, you can update all your social media sites with one click.

Back to Juju. Next day, she emails me to let me know that she's now following ME. Not that I have much to report. I'm an infrequent tweeter with a pretty dull life.

Still, I feel a connection with Juju now. I'm more likely to watch her reports. And from her Twitter updates, I know that a GOP congressman was Twittering Jake Tapper during a meeting with Obama yesterday. (How rude!)

Also, this is how I know that Juju Chang is looking for a carpet cleaner.

No comments: